Ryan M Khd

| map-marker Alpharetta, Georgia

They won't give us our security deposit back or response to communications.

American Homes 4 Rent - They won't give us our security deposit back or response to communications.
My wife and I have been out of 5213 Arbor View Lane, Sugar Hill GA 30518 since November. We have requested our security deposit be resent multiple times as we changed addresses and did not receive the original check. We have emailed multiple times and called with no response. We want our security check back as it's been 4 months. This is ridiculous. AH4R is great to get you in the home but once you're in expect to have terrible customer service. After you leave... crickets.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: RUN! Sounds great, nightmare once you move in.

BRAD W Ahy

| map-marker Tellico Plains, Tennessee

Only rent from AH4R if it's your only choice!

Rent from AH4R if it's your only choice. We rented a home from them and stayed for a year and a half while our home was being built.

From the start, they made the process of making a deposit for the home Very difficult and kept giving all kinds of different answers as to how it was to be handled which made it very frustrating. The home was very tired and various shades of paint on the walls had been used over the years to cover holes or marks. For the most part everything worked okay. Over the length of our stay, we had a couple of issues, roof leak, water heater busted and a water heater element went bad.

To their credit, they had these issues resolved very quickly and we cannot complain about that at all. One thing that I'm very glad we did was take some detailed pictures of the condition of the rental when we moved in. Like ALL rental companies, they want to come up with Bogus claims that the property has been damaged or neglected and then charge you, so they can hang on to as much of your deposit money as possible. We left the home SPOTLESS!

And in far better condition than we received it. Even according to the Representative from AH4R doing the walk through after move out, he said it was in "Move in ready condition"! But they still wanted to charge me a $250 cleaning fee! Then they came up with several other bogus claims of damage, and when I disputed the claims with pictures, they relented and gave me back the money, but still charged me with a $125 cleaning fee.

So, make sure wherever you rent to detail the condition when you move in.

AH4R is just okay, I'm sure there are better and I know there are a lot worse. read less

Heather R.'s profile image

User's recommendation: Take detailed pictures of move in condition!!!!!!

Debby Q Okj

| map-marker Hernando, Mississippi

Amh horrible company

horrible company ... their service people came onto my property without permission ... removed dirt from the side of my home and ac unit and put next to their house next to me ... $2000+ for me to repair damage and amh will not do anything ... DO NOT RENT from them!!! service stinks and public relations is non existent

User's recommendation: DO NOT RENT f

Debbie M Bit

Verified Reviewer

AMH homes are dirty, outdated and desperately need repairs.

The homes I have toured (3 to be exact) all need to be cleaned, painted, repaired. There are cracks in the ceilings, floors, tiles.

Floors had terrible scratches that nobody should be expected to live with. The smell of cigarette smoke was terrible. The vents/returns appeared to have not been cleaned in a long time. The paint was worn/outdated and needed to be redone.

The toilet in the masterbath was not secured well to the floor and moved when you touched it. I don't understand why such a large company would think they could get away with trying to rent a home to someone in the shape I saw these homes in today. I felt as if I was in a Section 8 home in a bad part of town (no disrepect intended at all). How is it ethically right to rent out an outdated, smelly, ill-repaired home to someone for $1800-$1900 per month.

I would not give them $500.00 per month for what I saw today. AMH you are a BIG company and making tons of money no doubt; however, you will not make any money off of me. Stop renting to just anyone for the money and take pride in what you do. Rent a quality product to a quality person and see if the home does not receive better care and longer term residents.

Would you would want your own mother to live in one of your homes? Have some common decency to offer a decent product.

Preferred solution: I would like for AMH to clean up their homes and take care of them as if they were going to move in themselves.

User's recommendation: I do NOT recommend AMH to anyone.

Guest

I total agree with you they don’t clean said that they don’t paint I wish you could see my walls I took it because I needed a place and I will not paint I had someone to come look and see how much they charge it was 3,500 dollars and I don’t have it still looks the same I have cracks all in the ceiling it’s bad how a tenant is done I would not recommend to complain to a dog it’s so much I want to say and how they have done me

Guest

My experience has been the same

View more comments (1)
Ed B Oeh

Horrible Company!

I Currently have over 15 open maintenance requests, some going back 2 years. Currently the AC/Heat hasn't been working for 2 weeks. They totally ignore any request for updates. They offered me pitiful slap in the face of $50 to get a space heater for an 1800 SQF home. The head of maintenance is a lowly coward who is to much of a looser to answer the phone or talk to a resident. They just randomly close requests without any explanation. AMH is an incredibly horrible company, rent with them at your own peril!
$2000

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Steer clear

map-marker Tampa, Florida

No Communcation

I had submitted my paperwork and I had to reach out to them several time to find out where i stood with the application. One person I talked to Kathleen Hisper needed a couple of this.

then we talked to another person( she said that Megan would reach out to me, which did not happen. I called on 2/25 we talked about the income part after a few minutes she stated that yes we qualify for the 4/3 and that she will touch bases on Tue. She did not call on 2/27. It was stated not to transfer any calls to Megan.

Not sure who I spoke with you.(its a different person every time you call) Then on Weds, we made a call again. In so many words you guys.

YOU GUYS DO NOT HOW TO COMMUNICATE AT ALL. I will not recommend this company at all.

jess n Ynf

| map-marker Dubai, Dubai

Crooks

The house I moved into was a wreck. We had to fix leaking sinks and faucets, do our own plumbing, get our A/C fixed three different times (after the first time, the property owner didn't pay the A/C repair man so he came back and took back all the parts he had replaced) so we went almost the entire summer without A/C, AND after all that they still charged us RIDICULOUS amounts of money for "cleaning" when we absolutely left it in better shape than when we moved in. I implore you to not rent any property managed by this business!
Loss:
Cons:
  • Distant company with no ties to the properties they manage
  • Does not maintain property
  • Ridiculous cleaning charges

Preferred solution: Warn other renters to not rent with this company

User's recommendation: Don't rent with this company

Drequan Hdg

In-house maintenance technician

I worked for the company 7 years. In 2023 I get a excellent review and then let go two weeks later. I never had any of the management addresse any issues before move in. Then when the new resident signs the contract, you are locked in for a year. On top of that, when move out happens they keep your deposit with BS repairs that should have been addressed before move in.

Preferred solution: The company to fold!

User's recommendation: DO NOT RENT FROM THEM

map-marker Morristown, New Jersey

Stay FAR AWAY - NIGHTMARE

After you sign.no one returns calls, emails took 3 Months for Maint after 5 call to Upper Management

User's recommendation: NEVER RENT FROM AH4R

Trishia B

| map-marker Tampa, Florida

Rental issues

Don.We are new tenets in the bell late subdivision. Our lease started April 17.

First issue is our keys did not work for two days and we were delayed in moving in.we have had nothing but issues. The home was new construction. Our flooring was not completed, walls were left unpainted, and it was not cleaned at all. We then had a water leak behind a wall in the laundry room.

We also have had a broken window since moving in. Now we are dealing with no AC because the thermostat doesnt work. We have contacted numerous people about our issues and always get the answer of my company doesnt work that fast. Meanwhile, we are stuck in a house that we are paying a lot of rent on and are unable to enjoy it.

I am disgusted with how this is being handled. I feel that we have been more than patient but there should not be so many issues especially with a new build.

I also expect heating and air should be taken care of asap. We have reach out to our local people over and over on these issues

Pros:
  • In good locations
Cons:
  • Dont rent quality homes

Preferred solution: Credit for days we couldn’t use the home

User's recommendation: Don’t rent from this company

Albertino A
map-marker Tampa, Florida

American Homes 4 Rent talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

I rented the home from out of state for a quick move in. They took deceiving pictures or used very old pictures to depict the home condition.

Once arrived, I was dissatisfied with home condition, but I was locked with a contract. I took several pictures and provided to them. At end of 1 year lease, they tried to keep over 90% of my deposit. Initially they said I failed to report my intention to finish my lease two months prior to end of lease as their requirement.

Then, they violated Florida Law by failing to report to me within 30 days of moving out for any intention to make any claim against my deposit. I complaint to them and demanded full refund.

Later, about months, they refund only 35% more. Please, If you see this review, stay far away from American Homes 4 Rent who hold tenant accountable but not themselves.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Stay away from American Homes 4 Rebnt

Guest

This company is buying up allot of homes in Fishers In. The rent is top of the market and quality is thru the floor.

I’ve viewed a lot of of their homes and they all have the same project housing look, smell and feel. Disgusting.

map-marker Houston, Texas

They try to steal the deposit for no reason.

I was rented here for two years, when it was time to leave, they set the departure date they wanted, they charged the bills that did not correspond with the departure date that I set, in the final inspection they put things that were already there when they handed me over the house at the beginning, and they want to collect it from the deposit (horrible)

User's recommendation: I do not recommend

Eber Frj

Terrible applicant review process and poor customer service

Landlords beware!

This company is not interested in renting your property quickly to a qualified applicant, but instead only do simple reviews and let the property sit vacant while they take their sweet time doing so.

Their rental approval process was rigid to a fault. They do not holistically review applications or evaluate capabilities to pay rent, but instead treat their applicants as small round pegs that have to fit exactly into their small holes.

Over 75% of my income was ignored, because it was not perfectly on exactly three bank statements.

My superior credit score, extensive savings account, and multiple sources of income proof were not even reviewed. My letters, emails, and phone calls were all ignored for two weeks.

My repeated requests to speak to a supervisor ultimately resulted in a generic your application has been declined email.

I am fortunate I did not rent through this company, based on how awful their application process was. This company would rather not rent a property than have to actually review an application.

Real Estate Expert Talks

What Do Property Management Companies Do @ Interview with Property Management Expert

Nov 27, 2020

Colby Hager, a a real estate investor and home remodeling expert, talks about property management companies, what they are, and how to choose the right property management company.

Read full article
Colby Hager
Colby Hager

Colby Hager is an experienced real estate investor with Capstone Homebuyers. He has years of experience in renovating houses, home remodeling, and property management.

map-marker Mesa, Arizona

AC works occasionally

It is Sunday night and my AC only blows out hot air. Three different tech people have come to the house and the AC does not work. I waas told you needed a new AC, Are you going to get one or do I complain to another agency???
Ahlia Uir
map-marker Agoura Hills, California

No answer!!! Ever

They put a lockbox on my front door before I vacated the home. I have paid all rents and still have 5 more days until the termination date.
Cons:
  • Are impossible to reach when you need them

Preferred solution: Apology

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article