Synopsis: AH4R is holding a change in carpet hostage for a guaranteed 12-month lease.

I have been a long time tenant of AH4R. Over the last 3 years I have spent over $80,000 in rent in a suburban 4 bedroom house in Nashville. During that time I have only requested minor maintenance issues and have been a very easy tenant.

However, a couple of weeks ago I requested AH4R to replace the Master Bedroom carpet. The carpet is in bad shape for 2 reasons. 1. Wear and tear over the last several years has made the white/grey carpet look very used and gross. And 2. When I first moved in they didn't install the carpet correctly and there was a big seam in the middle joining 2 separate carpets into one. Over time that seam has come up and there is a gap 2" wide running down my master bedroom staring at the floorboard.

Upon my request to change out the carpet someone came out to take pictures. I received an email shortly thereafter stating that should I want to change the carpet out I would have to sign a brand new 12-month lease. I was very upset and made what to turned out to be a lengthy call to the director. The director made it clear that AH4R is a publicly traded company and pretty much doesn't care that I need a new carpet because they won't make an ROI on the carpet because after 3 years of rent I have been month to month. (which by the way you pay a premium if you choose to go month-to-month with them).

I pleaded with them to make an exception, that I have spent $80,000 in rent with them and all I'm asking is to change carpet that at most would cost them $1,000. Again, they refused.

In conclusion, they held my request for a new carpet hostage as to force me into signing a new 12-month lease. I find this business practice appalling and disgraceful. I would STRONGLY NOT recommend being a tenant of AH4R. They don't value their tenants like private landlords would.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Homes 4 Rent Customer Care.

Reason of review: Poor business practices.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jul 09.

Comments